The Institution of Mechanical Engineers (“IMechE”) treats the privacy of its members, customers, and website users very seriously and we take appropriate measures to safeguard your privacy. This policy explains how we protect and manage any personal data you share with us and that we hold about you, including how we collect, process, protect and share that data.
Please read the following terms and conditions. By using this website ("Website") you are taken to have read, understood and consented to these terms and conditions ("Terms"). If you are uncertain about these terms and conditions, please contact the Data Protection Officer – DPO@imeche.org
Version 2.4, 04/01/22
This Website is operated and owned by the Institution of Mechanical Engineers of 1 Birdcage Walk, London, SW1H 9JJ.
Please note, as well as IMechE’s main website, imeche.org, this policy applies to all public web domains and subdomains operated by IMechE and its Subsidiaries:
For the purposes of any personal data processed whilst you visit this website and the other public domains and subdomains owned by IMechE, the Data Controller will be IMechE. IMechE is registered with the UK Information Commissioner, a copy of the registration is available via the Information Commissioner's website at www.ico.org.uk.
If you have any questions about this policy, please contact the Data Protection Officer at DPO@imeche.org.
There are different types of data that we may collect, store and process depending on your relationship with us.
This can include:
- Personal information about you such as your name, D.O.B and other contact details like email address and telephone number.
- Special categories of data, which require more protection such as health information or diversity information like race and sexual orientation.
- Other information which can be seen as identifiable such as bank details and credit card information.
Please note, we will not process or store the personal information of individuals under 16 years of age, unless consent is given or authorised by the holder of parental responsibility.
Personal data will be collected, stored and processed in accordance with the Data Protection Act 2018 (“Act”), and the General Data Protection Regulation ("GDPR").
How we use your personal data
To provide the daily services and benefits we offer; we must process personal information.
We may use your personal data in the following ways:
- To process membership applications and renewals and for all other membership administration
- Member grade application – processing of personal data (completed application form, details of previous experience, qualifications, references etc. as stipulated by IMechE) in order to assess your application. This may include the processing of your personal information by third party experts / Assessors and Examiners
- To provide you with critically important information about your membership or the Institution
- To provide Support Network with access to your personal Information in accordance with your member eligibility
- To undertake services or to provide products that you have requested from the organisation - for example: training, examination applications and renewals, event booking administration, venue booking administration, merchandise orders
- To conduct service administration e.g. issue password reminders, or to notify you that a particular IMechE service, activity or content has been changed, suspended for maintenance, or is otherwise not able to be used or consumed as expected
- To carry out our obligations arising from any other contracts or agreements entered into between you and IMechE
Please note that telephone calls to IMechE may be monitored or recorded for training purposes.
Based on your consent preferences we will provide you with information that you have requested from the Institution.
- Engineering news
- News related to the product/service you are interested in
- Products or services
- Invites to participate in surveys or discussions
- To share any other content relevant to your membership, products/services you have purchased or stated preferences
If you have given your explicit consent IMechE may permit selected third parties to use your data to provide you with information about goods and services which will be beneficial to you. If at any time you no longer wish your contact details to be shared for marketing purposes, you can simply let IMechE know using the information in the ‘Your Rights’ section below.
Disclosure of your information
IMechE will only disclose your personal information to third parties without your consent if it is.
- under a duty to disclose or share your personal data in order to comply with any legal obligation, or in order to enforce or apply the terms and conditions of supply and other agreements or
- to protect the rights, property, or safety of IMechE, its members or others or
- for the purposes of fraud prevention and credit risk reduction.
IMechE may disclose your personal information to any of its wholly owned subsidiaries
You have a number of rights relating to the processing of your personal data, subject to some exceptions.
You can contact the Data Protection Officer at DPO@imeche.org to request the following:
- To ask what information we hold about you and request a copy of that information, subject to any exemptions
- To raise a valid objection to your personal data being processed
- To have your personally identifiable data deleted in certain situations
- To ask for your records to be updated, if you believe they are inaccurate
- For processing of your personal data to be restricted, which you can do in certain situations
- To transfer your personal data from one service provider to another
If you have an online account and you wish to opt out of marketing communications, you can do so via the My Account section, My Profile page of your account.
IP addresses and cookies
This Website may automatically collect information about your computer, including your IP address, operating system and browser type. This is statistical data about our users' browsing actions and patterns, and does not identify any individual. This data is primarily used for:
helping IMechE improve Websites, digital products, or other services IMechE offers;
- providing statistics to help IMechE achieve its constitutional purposes;
- an estimation of audience size and usage patterns;
- to store preferences information to allow for website customising, and;
- to recognise members’ or customers' log in details for return visits to IMechE website
Information about your general internet usage is collected by using a ‘cookie’ file that is stored on your computer. Cookies help IMechE to improve this Website and to deliver a better and more personalised service. You may refuse to accept cookies by activating the relevant setting on your browser. However, if you select this setting you may be unable to optimally use certain parts of our site. IMechE websites will issue cookies when you visit them, unless you have adjusted your browser settings to decline them.
All information you provide to us is stored on our secure servers. Any payment transactions will be encrypted using SSL technology. Where IMechE has given you (or where you have chosen) a password which enables you to access certain parts of the Website, you are responsible for keeping this password confidential. IMechE request that you do not share a password with anyone.
The transmission of information via the internet is not always secure. IMechE will protect your personal data in accordance with current best practice but, it cannot guarantee the security of your data transmitted to the Website; any transmission is at your own risk. Once IMechE has received your information, it will use procedures and security features to minimise the likelihood of unauthorised access.
Third party websites
This Website and IMechE subsidiary websites contains links to other websites not operated by IMechE and that are outside its control. IMechE accepts no responsibility whatsoever for these websites or their content.
Copyright and use of content
Unless stated otherwise, copyright and other intellectual property rights in the contents ("Contents") of IMechE websites are owned by, or licensed to, IMechE. You may only print (or download ) the Contents for the purpose of private and personal non-commercial use, and may not otherwise copy, reproduce, distribute, republish, download, display, post or transmit, in any form whatsoever, or by any means, the contents without the express permission of IMechE (Please see "Further Inquiry").
The Contents of IMechE websites are for general information only. The contents are not intended to address specific requirements or form specific advice. IMechE gives no warranty as to the accuracy, completeness or fitness for purpose of the Contents or for keeping the Contents up-to-date and accepts no liability resulting from your use of the Contents.
Exclusion of liability
IMechE does not accept liability of any description, including liability for negligence (except for personal injury or death), or any damages or losses (including, but not limited to, indirect or consequential loss, or loss of business, revenue, profits, use or opportunity) howsoever arising from your use (or inability to use) IMechE websites or the Contents.
This Website and these Terms are governed exclusively by English law and are subject to the exclusive jurisdiction of the courts of England & Wales.
IMechE is a registered charity no. 206882.