How do I get my academic programme accredited?

We are licensed by the Engineering Council to accredit academic programmes from universities and colleges that drive young engineers toward professional registration as a Chartered or Incorporated Engineer.

We can award a maximum of five years’ accreditation and accreditation will be conducted under the fourth edition of the Accreditation of Higher Education Programmes (AHEP 4).

To get started, you’ll need to tell us about the programmes you want to accredit.

We’ve split our submission process into two stages:

  • Stage 1 - Initial submission
  • Stage 2 - Main submission

If we have never visited your university or college before you’ll need to complete the two-stage submission process.

Otherwise, you’ll only need to complete the Main submission stage.

Please note universities seeking re-accreditation can continue to be assessed against the previous edition, AHEP 3, until August 2024. It is important that universities indicate to the Institution early in the re-accreditation process under which standard accreditation is being sought.

To get started, email or call +44 (0) 20 7304 6866.

Stage 1 - Initial submission

You’ll need to submit the AHEP 4 Initial Assessment Form for either a UK or International visit to enable a visit to be considered, along with the AHEP 4 Output Standards Matrix.

Make sure you send your documents to as hardcopies of this form will not be accepted. The required documents can be found towards the bottom of this page.

Stage 2 - Main submission

Once an accreditation visit has been approved and you’ve scheduled your visit, you'll need to send us a copy of the Main Submission Form along with its accompanying documentation, including the Output Standard Matrix.

The required documents can be found towards the bottom of this page.

Once all the documentation is ready it will need to be uploaded to our secure filesharing site Please contact to arrange access.

Your visit

For visits conducted within the UK, our accreditation team will spend two days with you and your staff, assessing your programmes, facilities and laboratories and talking to your students.

Joint accreditation visits

As a member of the Engineering Accreditation Board (EAB), we’re happy to arrange joint accreditation visits with other professional engineering institutions, e.g. IET, RAeS etc.

International accreditation

We also accredit a number of degree programmes outside of the UK. For more details, download:

Location of study

Engineering Council regulation requires universities to invite the Institution to visit all campus locations involved in the delivery of accredited programmes or otherwise inform us of campus locations where accreditation is not sought.

In light of this, the Institution's process for reviewing academic qualifications for applicants who are applying for Institution membership and professional registration requires all universities that deliver accredited programmes to clearly indicate the location of study of each programmes awarded on the degree transcript.

Applicants for Institution membership and professional registration must submit their degree transcript, along with an authenticated copy of their degree certificate when they apply for professional registration.

Find out more 

Guidance documents and application forms


The academic accreditation visit fee is £3,000.

Additional charges of £1,500 will apply for monitoring visits where required.

Our fee covers administration and volunteer costs during the visit, enabling us to maintain a high-quality service for our academic partners.

For accreditation requests outside the UK, the university seeking accreditation is responsible for covering all associated visit expenses.

Need some advice?

To get started or ask a question, get in touch with our university support team.

Take the Challenge!


Discover our Young Members' Challenges and competitions

Pit your creative and engineering skills - in locomotive building, photography, Formula Student, drone design, engineering debates and more - in your university team or team of apprentices from your workplace or even sometimes, it's just you on your own.