A covering letter demonstrates why your experience and qualifications make you the ideal candidate for the job. It always accompanies your CV.
While your CV sets out your skills, your covering letter needs to:
• Briefly introduce yourself, state what position you’re applying for and how you heard about the vacancy
• Explain your motivation and suitability for the role
• Demonstrate to the employer your knowledge and interest in the company
• Highlight particular parts of your CV that make you stand out
• Allow you to expand on relevant information that doesn’t fit on your CV
• Be no longer than one page, set out with clear paragraphs
Address your covering letter to the appropriate person at the company. If you don’t know who it is, ring up the person who handles recruitment and find out. This will also demonstrate initiative and a willing attitude to your potential employer.